Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Savory Veggie Crêpes with Pesto & Goat Cheese

Even though I’m not a huge fan of sweet crêpes, I can eat savory crêpes like my life depends on them. I was at a street festival in Dallas a few months ago and there was a crêpe stall with more savory than sweet options. As if that wasn’t good enough, they also had more than one vegetarian option. Of course I had to try it out.

There weren’t many restaurants that served crêpes in India in the 90s and in Australia, they were an expensive option. So I only started eating them once I moved to the US. Looking back, the only two crêpes I have devoured (like a boss!!) have been from a little café in Dana Point, California and the street festival in Dallas.

Now I’m a bit of a minimalist in the kitchen. I don’t have many appliances and I certainly don’t deem it necessary to own a bunch of ‘makers’. I don’t own a crêpe maker, quesadilla maker, pancake maker or roti maker but manage perfectly well with my little pan and George Foreman grill. So when I set out to make these crêpes, I settled on this recipe for the batter and just winged it from there with whatever I had at home.

Don’t let the long ingredient list hold you back. Most are pantry staples. You can also use any combination of veggies as well as store-bought pesto. Here’s the recipe.

Ingredients for 6 crepes

For the batter
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
½ cup milk or soymilk
¾ cup cold water
2 tbsp margarine or butter
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon sugar
¼ tsp baking soda

For the filling
1 cup red pepper – julienned
1 cup red onion – julienned
1 cup tomatoes – deseeded & cut into 1 cm pieces
2 cups spinach – torn
¼ cup goat cheese – crumbled
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper

For the sundried tomato pesto
½ cup sundried tomatoes
1 cup fresh basil leaves
1 large clove of garlic
1 tbsp pine nuts or walnuts
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
¼ tsp sugar
2 tbsp EVOO

Method

Whisk all the batter ingredients thoroughly until you have a smooth and thin batter. It should be thinner than pancake batter so you can pour and spread it easily. Set aside for 20 minutes.

Grind all the pesto ingredients into a smooth … well pesto.

Pre-heat oven to 400 F.

Spread the onions, red peppers and tomatoes onto a baking dish. Spray with cooking oil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove and mix in spinach. Season with salt and black pepper. 

Spray a pan with oil.

Evenly spread the batter into a circle. Make sure the crêpes are thin.

When the batter has firmed up a little bit, spread a spoonful of pesto on half the crêpe.

Top the pesto with the veggie mix and a spoonful of goat cheese.

Gently fold the other half over the veggies.

Alternatively, you could spread the pesto and veggies in the center and fold the crêpe over from all four sides. 

Eat. Rinse. Repeat. 

2 comments :

  1. I think I had this but don't remember the name. I liked the pan cake part :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love savory crepes too. Love the additions to your ersion... especially the pesto. YUM!.

    ReplyDelete